Monday, September 28, 2015

Heroes Reborn Episode 1 Review

There's so many things to review, I typically review Skip Beat and I also recently watched Old Boy finally after hearing about that movie so much but since I am a loyal Heroes fan, this episode took priority.

Does it live up to the original Heroes?

Considering my favorite characters were Peter Petrelli (before he had his power weakened significantly) and Hiro, and from the previews it seems that I would only be getting one of those two beloved characters back, I actually had low expectations from the beginning.  Noah Bennett was pretty high on my list, almost at their level though so I am really glad that he was so prominently featured in the first episode.
Overall, the episode was better than I thought, a little too slow but made me curious and wanting to see more.  But in no way was I wowed like I was in season 1.


Spoilers ahead as the new heroes and their powers are discussed:




First up:
Molly on the left... so she seems to be a tracker, which I know is a very necessary character but as it's one of the lamest powers out there, they should not make this one a main character in my opinion.  On the other hand, Heroes is not known for all the characters having the best powers, as my least favorite was probably the black plague girl from season 3 or 4.  They have always been better about the character development and drama.  Carlos' story was all about character development in my opinion since after the entire episode I still don't know what his powers are.  It's unlikely he has super strength like his brother but I hope it's something really interesting and not a repeat of a past hero.  


After seeing the actor for Tommy play Peter Pan in Neverland, I can't seem to get that out of my head when I watch him acting as this other character.  Peter Pan's intro reminds me a little of Hiro's inability to control his teleportation powers in season 1, except he's not nearly as likable or interesting.  He seems like the standard awkward teenager in love with the football star's girlfriend.

I shouldn't be too harsh on him since he's still believable at least.  



My least favorite of these new heroes has to be Miko.  I have to think that some fanboy's wetdream was what inspired this storyline and character.  Or maybe they were hoping to grab the same kind of magic that was Hiro in first season since he was so anime like and Japanese.  But Miko's story is pretty unbelievable and I'm not sure if I would even consider video-game dimension hopping a real power... 


Now onto characters I actually really like and am curious about.  I've only glanced at her for a few seconds but I am quite curious about this girl and her save the world night sky powers.  I'm assuming that she's also the sister of the other character that I'm a big fan of, Noah's new sidekick, Quentin.


Noah's story is currently my fave because we all want to know what happened to his memory, how is Claire, why did he tell the Haitian to try to kill him to protect the information.  I was shocked when they killed off the Haitian just like that.  Couldn't the Haitian just try to wipe his memory again or do something other than get shot?  And if he was going to just try to kill Noah, why not just have his office receptionist do it when she had the chance?  Maybe those were just plotholes rather than part of the mystery but I am curious at where this is going and Quentin is awesome.
Well, maybe I spoke too soon about Noah's story being the most interesting, I almost forgot to mention the "penny for your thoughts" guy.  But he doesn't quite have his own separate storyline yet as much as being a side character in Tommy's so far.  He seems more like a cross between Santa, Fairy Godmother and just a standard stalker all in one.  But hopefully he's better than the puppet guy in the later Heroes seasons, I didn't like him as much.

As far as villains go, these two are definitely not likable but they are no Sylar.  It is just episode one so maybe they will get more complex than the standard revenge characters.  Luke's introduction as the villain was certainly unexpected and interesting.  Joanne's character seems rather flat thus far since she does seem to be just a sidekick to Luke.   Her bloodthirst made you dislike her instantly which is what you would want in a villain I suppose.  I just hope that they're a little more interesting than a tool to move the story along.

Despite all the complaints, I am curious and eager to see what happens next.  I want to know the powers of the characters that have not been revealed and answers to so many of the questions that this episode began.  The built-up anticipation and character development is something that really sets Heroes apart from the Marvel and other comic universe shows and movies.  You didn't exactly have to guess at most X-men powers or Superman's identity since they just throw that at you in the first five seconds but here, you have no idea what the identity or powers of several main characters.