Friday, July 18, 2008

Inu Yasha Part 1

So after 56 volumes for 4 days straight, I have completed Inu Yasha manga. And I have to say, "wow." I couldn't believe it took Rumiko Takahashi 12 years to complete this and before reading this, I wondered truly how the story could continue on for such a long time. Now after reading it, I realize that it could have gone on indefinitely and I would have been just as happy. I'm not saying that I would have wanted an open-ended conclusion like Ranma 1/2 or Urusei Yatsura but that she could have easily made a "lifetime" piece and continued for another 12 years and I would have been still quite happy. Although I suppose that would mean waiting for it for another 12 years but I enjoyed my binge very thoroughly. I am very glad that I waited for its completion before reading it despite my spoiling myself a little with 100 episodes of the anime.

A few topics I have to discuss:



Sesshoumaru and Rin
Ok, so I definitely have some mixed feelings about this in terms of whether I favor them being a romantic couple or not. I am totally in favor of their relationship in that it is extremely touching and I love Sesshoumaru's emotional growth. I thought it would have been sweet if it was a romantic love if Rin had been older but then after she grows up it may turn into one. I think sometimes it's good not to classify love at least in this case. Some people like thinking of it as brotherly, paternal, etc, but in their case, I just want to classify it as love and leave it at that. Afterall, whether it grows into romantic or not adds a little mystery. Their arc was one of the best stories I have ever read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by, love that piece you posted of sesshomaru and rin. I just finished watching the final act, and I'm sad that it's over. I'm in total agreement that this story could have gone one for another decade or so and not get old. I'm content with how inuyasha and kagome's relationship ended though sad that she'll never be able to see her family again. I wish the author would come out with another story with Rin grown up and the relationship that she shares with Sesshomaru...which hopefully would be a romantic one.