Monday, May 11, 2015

Game of Thrones S5 E5 Kill the Boy

To start off with some humor:
Game of Thrones Poor Fiance Choices


Now onto the discussion of the actual episode
So many things happened this episode... and yet now that I have had time to digest it, it seems that most of this episode was just setup for later drama.

Do not read on if you don't want spoilers.
We begin with the beginning of the episode which was focused on the mourning of the death of a character that I have heard was not in the books.


I can't say that I was as attached as Daenerys to Barristan but it was a great catalyst to this:

It was great to see her other dragons in action again, I have to say that her keeping them locked up seems both sad and unlike how I imagined her character to be.  So it's great to see that she is making good use of any prisoners or people she doesn't like for pet food.  I also like seeing her vengeful side as it shows she's not always a scared little girl like she was when she seemed afraid of her own dragons.
Now onto my other favorite character, Jon Snow.  Tyrion round out my top 3 of course.  Jon Snow is finally showing more of his position and influence along with his compassion for people.  It has been quite interesting to see him interact with Stannis.  I really did not care for Stannis but he has really grown on me.  But the fact that I like him more now just means that he's likely to be killed off.


How could you not love the softy?  But I have to say that I think everyone feels like Daenerys and Jon are destined and considering how they are both learning how to rule with internal conflicts over their decisions seems to be growing pains that they experience at the same time.  I don't see Cersei or Stannis even feeling as bad over their decisions or conflicted half as much as those two do but I suppose that's also because they're used to this Game.


Brienne, she was much more likable when paired with Jaime.  Now I'm really not sure what she's there for...  But I suppose that's part of the entire setup story.


Is it bad that I like Ramsey and that he amuses me even though he is pure evil and a sadist?  I'm not sure why but he's so much more entertaining than Joffrey even though they're both villains.  Perhaps it is because how he seems so completely desperate for his father's approval, which makes him less one dimensional.  Or that he has these dark humor moments like the now "let's cut the tension" dinner conversation.  Is it bad that I kind of want Sansa to actually fall in love with him to see him turn good?  Though it is interesting that she just went from one bloodthirsty fiance to another...  Well, with Tyrion as a husband sandwiched in the middle so I guess she had one decent almost spouse?  Yes, I almost forgot that happened also.

Speaking of Tyrion, they finally got off that boat.  As I mentioned, this episode has been just a buildup episode to setup for the future.  Daenerys' part was to finally get control of her mini kingdom and set up for the gladiator battles.  Jon Snow segment was for his venture to save the Wildlings and maybe bring forth the zombie story finally.  Afterall, how long has winter been coming for? Stannis and Ramsey heading towards each other in epic battle I expect.  And of course, Tyrion and rock diseased Jorah finally getting to Daenerys.  Sidenote: beautiful picture of the twosome on the right.

Daenerys + Elsa combo