Saturday, May 02, 2015

The Following Evermore and Predictions for the Future

Outside of anime, I watch a lot of series and movies via stream.  To find out sites, I'll go over that on another post.  But my recent addiction has been Game of Thrones, Grimm, The Following, Orphan Black and Brooklyn 99.

For a change of pace, I want to, no, I have to talk about the recent episode of The Following.
For those who have not seen it, Spoiler Alert*

I have to say that I had very high hopes for Theo and his character.  His previous episodes were truly bad-ass and showed great potential as the next ultimate villain but the introduction of his sister, Eliza and his somewhat weaker/skittish image in this episode really made me like him less.  I was especially impressed with the actor's diverse role since I've mainly seen him in romantic comedies with Kevin Hart in the past.  I am hoping that they go back to making him look like the next baddest villain since Joe again or make the sister be the hidden ultimate baddie.

Now to the topic you've all been waiting for, Joe's death.  I am both surprised and happy that they finally had the guts to kill off Joe.  Honestly he should have died midway through season 2 because that was probably when things were dragging on unnecessarily.  Season 1 was still the best in my opinion but this season is shaping up to be way better than Lily and the unrealistic family of killers that was last season.  Speaking of which, I really hope they either close off that side story soon or leverage it to introduce an even more insane and unpredictable character.

Predictions for the future:

I think the most predictable path is that Ryan will become the bad guy.  Or his alter-ego who's best buds with Joe will take over when Ryan is black out drunk.  I really hope that they don't go this route unless they can make it very interesting and unpredictable.  Because that would be too easy and Ryan's first follower would likely be Mike.  On the other hand if they keep Ryan as just a vigilante good guy with bad guy methods, he'll continue to remind me of Batman (Robin is such an obvious Mike) so making him go all the way bad would break that association.