Monday, May 25, 2015

The Following Season Finale

So I'm a week late on writing the recap/review.  The reason being there were some major letdowns in the episode!  This is coming from a fan of the show and one who has really enjoyed this season up until the last few episodes.  I will say that there were also some great moments as well.  If you're reading this, I doubt I have to say beware of spoilers so let's get started...

Beginning with the good because there were still some pretty great moments to the show.  The entire sequence of events at the house with Ryan's former FBI boss was great except they really should have killed off the spouse because it's a trademark of the show for more characters to be killed. It was pretty great to see Theo actually capture Ryan and the shadow group with Eliza in turn capture Theo.  The highlight of the show was definitely the reveal of the doublecross by the FBI lead agent, Lisa.  I did not see that coming and was very excited to see what next.  Unfortunately this is where it fell apart a bit in this episode.  The ending with Ryan turned vigilante was pretty great and the way he killed off Lisa was a nice touch.

Now onto the bad parts of the episode...Theo's plan to capture Gwen just to raise Ryan's kid as a revenge sounded so ridiculous and uncharacteristic.  I know Theo was losing it a bit after his sister died but really that plan was so unlike him.  It would have made way more sense if he had just killed off Gwen but even in interviews, the producers had said that they were not expecting to be cancelled so they played it safe.  Killing a pregnant love interest would have been memorable and risky although also seen as a bit of a copycat for a certain famous movie.  But it would have been more believable and really set it up for Ryan's true conversion to be Joe's follower.  This was probably what bothered me most about how they treated Theo's character.  He was set up to be an even better, slicker and more ruthless villain than Joe Carroll and in the end, they made him seem desperate, dependent on others and careless.  Those are completely contradictory traits from how he was presented through the entire first half of the season.
Remember this Theo?
Or this one? 

These do not make as much sense with this version of Theo

On a sidenote of what was not so great about the episode.  What was the purpose of Daisy?  Her story was a waste of time.  At least Emma had some backstory and was worth hating.  Daisy was just boring.  There was potential with the relationship with Mark or having her be the one to kill off Max or Gwen but instead she became useless.

Despite these shortcomings, I still enjoyed this season overall.  I just feel it had so much more potential and seemed to really go too far away from their winning formula from season 1.  I believe they started playing it too safe.  If they were renewed, would I have kept watching?  Yes, I would have enjoyed seeing Ryan go full vigilante.  I've heard rumors of Netflix picking it up but I don't have my hopes up too high.  Unless they can really make this a cheap show, considering the poor ratings and viewership of the last episodes, I do not think it will be continued unfortunately.  Well, hopefully there will be another more amazing show or at least this gives me a little more time to spend on my other fave shows like Game of Thrones and Grimm.